Forty years ago, Curt Moody decided to start an architecture firm. Driven by a passion to break into a field with little minority representation, he took a considerable risk and opened the doors of Moody and Associates in 1982 — in the midst of a depressed economy. At the beginning, the firm was just Curt and a graduate architecture student. But by the end of the first year, the firm had grown to nine staff members. Sensing an opportunity to position the firm for growth, Curt joined forces with the engineering firm Howard E. Nolan & Associates, and Moody Nolan was born.
Since its founding, projects at Moody Nolan have steadily grown in scope and scale. From early projects such as branch libraries and religious facilities, the firm has been able to add projects with public works at universities, housing authorities, and hospitals throughout the country.
Our projects may have grown. But commitment to our clients has always remained the same — ensuring a space performs, inspires, and above all, endures.
Expanding the Footprint
Our firm’s growth has been made possible by the confidence to take risks and move forward. But most of all, we’ve remained true to a basic commitment — to provide exemplary services, design signature projects, and recruit the most capable and talented design professionals. Because of this, Moody Nolan has expanded our geographic footprint beyond our Ohio roots. Today, we work coast to coast and maintain eleven regional offices.
Rather than acting in a silo, Moody Nolan decided early on to pursue partnerships with other firms in order to better deliver results for our clients. We have served as lead designer, architect of record, associate architect, or consultant, depending on how our skills can best benefit a particular client and project. This idea of partnership and collaboration has spearheaded the growth of individual studios and the firm’s national reach.
Firm Accomplishments and Milestones
- 2021 – Jonathan Moody receives Young Architect Award from the American Institute of Architects
- 2021 – AIA National Architecture Firm Award
- 2020 – Jonathan Moody named CEO
- 2019 – Fourth Monograph, “Moody Nolan Design Volume 2”
- 2019 – Columbus Legacy House Opens
- 2017 – Opens offices in Atlanta, Boston, Cincinnati, and New York
- 2013 – Third Monograph, “Moody Nolan Design”
- 2013 – Opens office in Houston
- 2011 – Opens office in Dallas
- 2010 – Opens office in Chicago
- 2009 – One of six finalists for the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- 2008 – Opens office in Washington, DC
- 2008 – Second Monograph, “Responsive Architecture”
- 2007 – Curtis J. Moody receives Gold Medal Award from the American Institute of Architects
- 2006 – AIA Ohio Gold Medal Firm of the Year
- 2005 – Opens office in Cleveland
- 2002 – First monograph, “Aesthetics Function Technology”
- 2000 – National Organization for Minority Architects Firm of the Year
- 1997 – Curtis J. Moody honored with fellowship from the American Institute of Architects
- 1995 – Opens office in Nashville
- 1992 – Curtis J. Moody receives the Whitney M. Young, Jr. Award from the American Institute of Architects