School of the Arts
The Cleveland School of the Arts is strategically located adjacent to University Circle in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural center. A total of 775 students from grades nine through twelve will accommodate John Hay High School, a neo-classical building circa 1929, shares the site. The contemporary design of the new 126,126 sq. ft. School of the Arts intentionally contrasts with the older school, as is fitting for a school dedicated to fostering artistic creativity. Together, they form a new gateway facing the major intersection of Stearns Road and Carnegie Avenue.
Year of Completion
The design establishes rhythm and movement along the sweeping, three story Stearns Road façade by contrasting large expanses of glass and tapered zinc rain screen with playful vertical punched openings. Historic elements from a former school occupying the site have been integrated into the design.
Programs housed in the school include the visual arts, music, dance and theater. The dining hall, two art galleries, a gymnasium and black box theater will serve all grade levels. Fundraising is in progress to add a large, 650 seat experimental theater. The building has been designed with sustainability as a driving factor with LEED silver as a goal.